A History of Terror - Belfast City Centre Walking Tour
Over 2 hours and 15 minutes, with the help of expert guides who are conflict historians, this walking tour of Belfast city center will take you on a journey back in time. You will discover how the conflict known as the Troubles started, see the locations where the most important events of the period occurred, and learn about the path to reconciliation and eventually peace (and the challenges the future may hold). You will discover the realities of growing up and living your life in a conflict zone and how it affected everyone who lived here. The tour is factual and historically accurate to ensure it is unbiased, but the guides also weave their own stories into the tour in order to bring history to life and give you a unique understanding of the recent past. The tour starts each day at 10.30am. It is No.4 on TripAdvisor's Traveller's Choice 'Activities in the U.K. 2019' and one of the guides was named 'Top UK Tour Guide' at the Wanderlust World Guide Awards 2019.
per adult from
120 to 150 minutes
What's included :
- Local guide
- Headsets to hear the guide clearly
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: City Hall Donegall Square, Belfast BT1 5GS Northern Ireland
In the grounds of Belfast City Hall your guide will introduce you to the tour and also give an introduction to the history of the Troubles. The introduction sets the scene for the rest of the tour, explaining the centuries old relationships between the British and the Irish and how and why the Troubles begin in the late 1960s.
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: Spirit of Belfast, 1 Arthur Square, Belfast BT1 4FB Northern Ireland
As we walk through the pedestrian precinct at the heart of the city centre your guide will stop at a number of locations including the Spirit of Belfast. These are locations where some of the most significant events and incidents of the Troubles took place including infamous gun and bomb attacks. Here you will discover the stories of the people involved, the intended and unintended consequences of these events and the effect they had on our history and relationships..
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Cathedral Quarter, Belfast Northern Ireland
As you walk through the newly regenerated Cathedral Quarter, which is at the heart of our cultural and nightlife district, your guide will introduce you to the stories of more significant events while also discussing the beginnings of the path to peace. Today the streets and alleys of the Cathedral Quarter are home to fantastic examples of street art and some of our best bars and nightspots, but through the powerful story-telling of the guide you will be transported back in time and realise how far we have come since the dark days of the 1970s.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Beacon of Hope, Belfast BT1 3DJ, UK
We end the tour by the Waterfront on the banks of the river Lagan and the Beacon of Hope, our favourite piece of public art which champions our resilience and regeneration. Here we will compare Belfast today with one of the darkest days in our history, explain how we achieved our fragile peace and discuss what the future may hold. We will even tell you how 'the Troubles' got it's name...
Duration: 20 minutes
Departure Point :Donegall Square North, Donegall Square N, Belfast BT1, UK
Departure Time :10:30 AM
Return Detail :Oxford Street, Belfast BT1 3NB, UK
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- A moderate amount of walking is involved (1.5 miles)
- Minimum age is 12 years
- The tour will take place regardless of the weather. Please check the forecast and dress accordingly
- A waterproof jacket is recommended just in case of showers, as is warm clothing during the winter months
- Belfast City Center is completely flat, so no hills or steps are involved. However, comfortable footwear is advised
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Surfaces are wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 25 travelers
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Our guest’s health, safety and ability to enjoy our tour is of vital importance to us. We have implemented extensive safety measures relating to Social Distancing, Personal Protective Equipment, and creating a contactless tour. Our safety-conscious guides will take the best possible care of you!
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.