Dolphin Encounter and Kealakekua Bay Reef Snorkel
COMBO TRIP: Encounter with wild Dolphins and snorkel at Kealakekua Bay!
On this four hour excursion, you will travel to a beautiful marine sanctuary, Kealakekua Bay where the Captain Cook monument stands. This is a beautiful reef with over 600 underwater species! As we travel down the coastline to the Bay we will stop to see wild spinner dolphins. Expect the following while enjoying boat ride to our favorite snorkeling spot!
• 46' Delta or 33' Radon with plenty of room to move around including cabin for shade, upper deck for unobstructed viewing, and plenty of room on bow and stern of the boat to move around
• Marine head
• Great views of Kailua Kona including lava flows and sea caves
• Amazing views of the Captain Cook monument and the bay with historical and cultural significance to the islands
per adult from
What's included :
- Bottled water
- Professional guide
- Use of Snorkelling equipment
What's excluded :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- See Dolphins and Snorkel in Kealakekua Bay, travel from the south to a marine life sanctuary, Kealakekua Bay, where the Captain Cook monument is located.
Once in Kealakekua Bay we snorkel there for approximately 45 minutes. Guest can expect to see sea turtles, bright colored reef fish, coral over 1500 years old, the Captain Cook Monument, freshwater springs, dolphin pods, and humpback whales who are here during the winter months. Our crew will be there to help assist anyone who needs help snorkeling as well as talking about the history and cultural significance of the area.
Along the way to the bay we will stop to swim with a pod of spinner dolphins. These wild dolphins are so commonly found we guarantee that we will take you again if we do not see any dolphins.
Spinner Dolphin Facts:
• Why do spinner dolphins leap and spin? There are several ideas. One is that they are trying to remove amoras, a kind of suckerfish that attach themselves to the dolphin’s bodies. Another possibility is that this could be a form of communication for the dolphins, and we also think they do it just to have fun!
• What time of the day do spinner dolphins rest and tend to their young? Spinner Dolphins will rest for about four to five hours and while resting will slowly swim back and forth. During this time, the dolphins do not spin or leap very often and sleep with half their brain alert to ensure they continue to breathe, while the other half of their brain is at rest. Many scientists also believe that dolphins keep half of their brain awake to be aware of predators.
• What do spinner dolphins eat? Hawaiian spinner dolphins feed on small fish, shrimp and squid, typically hunting at night in groups.
• How often do spinner dolphins reproduce? A spinner dolphin will give birth or “calve”, once every two to three years.
• How big are Hawaiian Spinner Dolphins? The average size for an adult spinner dolphin is roughly 6.5 feet weighing about 165 pounds.
• What is the Hawaiian word for the dolphins? Nai'a or Hawaiian Spinner Dolphins are shaped and colored somewhat differently from other spinner dolphins.
Departure Point :Bite Me Sport Fishing- Kona Deep Sea Fishing Charters, 74-425 Kealakehe Pkwy #1, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740, USA
Departure Time :8:30 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 2 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Infants four and under must provide their own life vests
- Collasible wheelchair accessible - if assistance is required, passenger must provide their own carer
- Wheelchair accessible
- Infants must sit on laps
- Infant seats available
- Surfaces are wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 25 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Organised by Bite Me Sportfishing