"El Trapiche" in Monteverde
Sugar cane, Chocolate and coffee Tour
The first trapiche (sugarmill) came to Monteverde in 1948 when Mr. Higinio Santamaría (grandfather of the present owner), moved from San Ramon of Alajuela to Monteverde. The journey was done with oxen carts, to thearea we know now as Santa Elena and lasted about 15 days, then it was installed and started working regularly.
Approximately 13 years after the arrival of the family to Monteverde, Mr. Juan Santamaría Campos (father of the present owner) creates a partnership buying a diesel-powered mill. The idea of turning it in to an agro-tourism farm, was created with the aim of showing to visitors a representative part of Costa Rican culture where they can appreciate the process of sugar by the old way making brown sugar (tapa de dulce) and processing of fresh coffee cultivation in educational and cultural tour, which began on 2005.
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Local guide
- Entry/Admission - El Trapiche Tour
What's excluded :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: El Trapiche Tour, Costa Rica
El Trapiche tour, is owned by a costarican family, which offers a guided tour of about 2hours. It begins with a tour around the farm which may have an opportunity to observe the different plantations located therein, besides crossing a small patch of forest where occasionally wildlife can be found.
During the tour of the farm there is a small tilapia pond, plantations of bananas, plantains, arracache, macadamia, oranges, sugar cane and coffee. In the span of the walk around the farm, we explain the process involved in sugarcane cultivation, natural history and also the opportunity to taste the sugar cane and its derivatives.
Finished this interval will display the coffee process, which starts showing from planting and continues with the process of crushing, peeling and roasting by our machinery.
To finish the tour of the plantation, you’re invited to make a short trip in a oxen cart(not obligatory), it starts from sugar cane plantation and finishes at the building where the cocoa process is shown. There are step by step through the process of cocoa from different stages: starting with a brief explanation of how the tree develops, pollination of it, how to get the fruit, seed fermentation, drying, roasting and grinding cocoa and in addition brief explanation of how to obtain tasting chocolate.
Right after finishing the cocoa process, it will show the “guaro“ process (cane liquor). Next thing on schedule is the demonstration of the different types of the typical trapiches(sugar cane mills) there are three types in the farm, a manual one, an oxen mill and a water mill. You will see all of them running!
The tour culminates at the place where artisanal sugar cane candy is done. various derivatives are made(brown sugar, traditional costarican “perica” or “sobado”(fudge like) and caramel. It is a great opportunity to interact and make your own candy. To finish the tour is given the opportunity to taste a “gallo de arracache” chopped with an exquisite cup of coffee, lemonade or aguadulce.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: El Trapiche Tour, Costa Rica
You will have a brief explanation of the coffee process
Duration: 20 minutes
Departure Point :Puntarenas Province, Monteverde, Costa Rica
Traveler pickup is offered
We pick up in hotels in Monteverde Downtown.
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Dress code is smart casual
- Stroller accessible
- Infant seats available
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- Due to the pandemic, this tour is subject to availability. A minimum of passengers is required for the tour. But you can check our availability. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.