Full-Day Kairouan and El Jem Tour from Sousse
Departure for Kairouan, the 4th holiest city in the Islamic world. The visit starts from the 9Th century Aghlabides basins seen from the top of the tourist information building with an introduction to the foundation of Kairouan and its glorious ages.
Move to the grand mosque, the oldest in north Africa, continue to the nearby Sidi Sahbi (a companion of prophet Mohamed) with an introduction to some Tunisian traditions. End the visit by a walk through the medina with its exotic charm
Visit of El Jem (Thysdus) Roman amphitheatre, the third biggest & the best preserved one in the Roman world. Terminate with the visit of the famous Museum of El Jem.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Professional guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (if option selected)
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Fuel surcharge
What's excluded :
- Departure to Kairouan from your Tunis accommodation. The visit starts with the last two 9th century Aghlabite Basins which were among the greatest waterworks of the middle Ages. The basins are seen from the top of the Tourist Information Building and they form an introduction to the foundation of Kairouan and its glorious age. Proceed to visit the 7th century Great Okba Mosque, the oldest one in North Africa. The clients will appreciate the powerful and beautiful expression of faith inherent in the 9th century building. Proceed to the nearby Sidi Sahbi, to visit the 17th-19th century building with its minaret & beautiful courtyards lined with green-blue tile work & white plaster stucco. Then on to the entrance of the Medina and the guided walk through the main street of the mystic Medina up to "Bir Barrouta". Free time is given for individual discovery & shopping at the Medina. Lunch at a local restaurant.
Transfer to El Jem (70 km / 1h 15mn drive). El Jem’s amphitheatre is the main attraction and is one of Tunisia’s most often visited sites. This monumental amphitheatre, built in the mid 3rd century AD (230-240 AD), is the largest Roman monument left in Africa, and ranks 3rd in the Empire after those of Rome and Verona. Being one of the last large amphitheatres built during the Roman era, its architectural design is an improvement over that of the Coliseum of Rome, though it is not a great deal smaller.
Departure Point :your hotel in Sousse
Departure Time :8:00 AM
Return Detail :your hotel in sousse
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Infant seats available
- Wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- May be operated by a multi-lingual guide
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 20 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.