Half Day White Water Rafting - Balsa River II-III
White water rafting on the Balsa River class II-III is a great choice for families, first time rafters and people with experience that are looking for an exiting and safe half day activity on the river. Guaranteed to be one of your highlights of your trip, this tour gives you the thrill of going down rapids while being surrounded by beautiful tropical rain forest home to sloths, iguanas, howler monkeys and many birds. Included is your transportation, fruits, delicious homemade Costa Rican lunch, experienced guide, safety kayaker and equipment. All our tours are small and personalized or private to insure you get excellent service and to minimize our environmental footprint.
per adult from
5 to 6 hours
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Transportation from hotel (if in the area) or our office
- Fresh fruits
- Professional guide
- Safety kayaker
- Approved safety equipment
What's excluded :
- Souvenir photos (available to purchase)
- Your day will begin when we pick you up from your hotel (if it is in the vicinity of La Fortuna or along the way to the river) and begin the 45 minute drive to the Balsa River. Along the way, your guide will point out any sites of interest and give you an introduction to the area and the river. Named after the Balsa tree, this river is divided in several sections. The section that you will be running is a class II-III (from a scale of I-VI) and it is 8 km (5 miles) long. This section is perfect for first time rafters, people with experience and families with children. It will give you the excitement of hitting white water while keeping the level of difficulty safe and fun.
Once we arrive at the river, you will have a chance to use the rest rooms and change rooms before you are provided with a safety vest, a helmet, a paddle, a safety speech and a practice. Once your guide is satisfied with your ability to paddle and react to the commands, the rafting begins. The river begins with the more challenging rapids and the real adrenaline and finishes with smaller rapids and pools where you will have the chance to see wildlife and jump in the water for a little swim. Half way down, you will take a fruit break on the side of the river and replenish your energy with fresh local pineapple, watermelon and other tropical fruit. Depending on the water level, the time spent on the water is 2-2.5 hours.
Your transportation will be waiting for you at the end of the class II-III section that we are running and will take you to have a delicious typical Costa Rican lunch at a local family run restaurant. After lunch, you will be driven back to your hotel some 35 minutes away. All in all, you will spend around 5 wonderful hours with us. Your tour will be small, personalized or private to give you great customer service and is designed to give back to the local community and to preserve the environment that allows us to do what we love.
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Departure Time :Between 8:45 am - 9:15 am depending of your hotel location
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Clothing for the river: bathing suit, shorts, rash guard or t-shirt, water shoes or running shoes you do not mind getting wet (no flip flops)
- Sun screen and towel
- Dry clothes to change into after the river
- Please advise us of any specific dietary requirements
- A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- Participants with serious medical conditions or back problems must receive permission from their doctors to do this activity
- Subject to weather conditions. If canceled due to extreme weather is causing dangerous conditions such as floods, etc. you will be given the option of an alternative date, river, river section or full refund
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.