Kalavryta (Rack railway) Cave of Lakes, private tour from Athens/ Nafplion (11h)
We visit Kalavryta and surrounding areas as travelers, not as tourists. We get as excited as you to travel, to enjoy the history & scenery.
Schedule is flexible, but most importantly our drivers are seasoned travelers and are dedicated to helping you live the tour of your life, that is suited to your needs and lifestyle, allowing all passengers to enjoy the scenic drive.
This private tour takes you via Corinth Canal to Peloponnese. Continue to Diakopto, from where you will take the cog railway, a unique train ride via Vouraikos Gorge to Kalavryta. Continue by car to the majestic Cave of Lakes. Time for Lunch, explore Kalavryta village ( visit Holocaust Museum). Next we visit the Monastery of Agia Lavra, return in Athens by car this time. On the way we will stop at Mega Spileo Monastery (the oldest in Greece)
You have the options of a full payment at the time of your booking or reserve your tour with a deposit only 50% at a lower rate (than Option/ Full Pay). Read additional info
What's included :
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Private Transportation & includes: (Fuels, Toll Roads, Parking Fees)
- WiFi on board
- English Guided Tour in Cave of Lakes
- Professional English speaking experienced Tour driver (with history knowledge) for the day
- Pick up / Drop off, from/to your hotel/apartment in Athens, Piraeus, or request another location
- Entry/Admission - Agia Lavra Monastery
- Entry/Admission - Mega Spileo Monastery
What's excluded :
- Train fee 10€ (Diakopto- Kalavryta/ one way) For weekends or holidays, purchase your tickets online.
- Meals & personal expenses. Entrance fees to Kalavryta Museum & Cave of Lakes: General 13€ Reduce 8€
- Entry/Admission - Odontotos rack railway Diakopto – Kalavrita
- Entry/Admission - Kastria Cave of the Lakes
- Entry/Admission - The Municipal Museum of the Kalavryta Holocaust
Stop At: Corinth Canal, Isthmia, Loutraki 201 00 Greece
The marvelous man-made Corinth canal connecting the Aegean and Ionian seas, as well as the Peloponnese peninsula with the central part of Greece.
More than 2500 workers digging 6.400m for twelve years (from 1881 to 1893). Stop for photography, walk across on a pedestrian bridge and admire the canal from 80 m high
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: Diakopto, Diakopto, Achaea Region, West Greece
Diakopto is a town and a former municipality in Achaea / Peloponnese. The town of Diakopto is situated on the Gulf of Corinth, near the mouth of the Vouraikos river and at the lower end of the Vouraikos Gorge.
From Diakopto train station you will buy your tickets for this unique rack rail way train to Kalavryta. Train fee 10€ (Diakopto- Kalavryta/ one way) For weekends or holidays, please purchase your tickets online in prior time.
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: Odontotos rack railway Diakopto – Kalavrita, Diakopto 250 03, Greece
You’ll be hard-pressed to find a train journey as spectacular as that of the rack railway that links the seaside village of Diakopto to picturesque Kalavryta.
Take the Diakopto–Kalavryta Railway, an historic 750 mm gauge cog railway in Greece. It runs 22 km (14 mi) through the Vouraikos Gorge, stopping on route at Zachlorou.
It is one of the most beautiful natural sights plus one of the most spectacular railway rides. The little train travels through streams, climbing the majestic narrow gorge, up into the mountains, through bridges and tunnels, over waterfalls, along cliffs and through forest of pine and oak trees. When the incline gets really steep it switches form regular track to a cog system.
Duration: 1 hour 8 minutes
Stop At: Kastria Cave of the Lakes, Kastria Greece
The Cave of the Lakes, is located near the village Kastria. It is 17 km from Kalavryta.
The cave is an old subterranean river consisting of three levels. During the winter when the snow melts it is transformed into a flowing river with waterfalls. During the summer, it dries up, leaving behind 13 lakes.
Daily from 09:30 to 16:30 Holidays and summer time extension
Tickets Adults: 9,00 €. Children/ Over 65: 4,50 €.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: The Municipal Museum of the Kalavryta Holocaust, 1-5 Sigrou Achaia, Kalavrita 250 01 Greece
Kalavryta a popular traditional mountain village. Visit Museum & town.
In early December 1943, the German Army's 117th Jäger Division began a mission named Unternehmen Kalavryta (Operation Kalavryta), intending to encircle Greek Resistance fighters in the mountainous area surrounding Kalavryta. During the operation, 78 German soldiers, who had been taken prisoner by the partisans in October, were executed by their captors. In response, the commander of the German division, General Karl von Le Suire personally ordered the "severest measures" — the killing of the male population of Kalavryta — on 10 December 1943.
Operation Kalavryta was mounted from six cities: Patras, Aigion, and Cornith on the Gulf of Corinth and from Argos, Pyrgos and Tripolis in central Peloponnese. All "Battle-Groups" were aimed at Kalavryta, although the divisions from Pyrgos, Argos, and Corinth returned to their bases soon after.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Agia Lavra Monastery, Kalavrita 250 01 Greece
Agia Lavra is a monastery near Kalavryta. It was built in 961 AD, on Chelmos Mountain, at an altitude of 961 meters, and can be described as the symbolic birthplace of modern Greece. It stands as one of the oldest monasteries in the Peloponnese.
It was built in the 10th century but was burnt to the ground in 1585 by the Turks. It was rebuilt in 1600 while the frescoes by Anthimos were completed in 1645. It was burnt again in 1715 and in 1826 by the armies of Ibrahim Pasha of Egypt. In 1850 after the rebirth of modern Greece, the building was completely rebuilt. The monastery was burned down by German forces in 1943.
It is famously linked with the Greek War of Independence, since it was here that the call for Eleftheria I Thanatos (Ελευθερία ή θάνατος) was first heard on 25 March 1821, launching the revolution against the Ottoman Empire. That day, Bishop Germanos of Patras performed a doxology and administered an oath to the Peloponnesians fighters.
Duration: 45 minutes
Stop At: Mega Spileo Monastery, Kato Zachlorou, Kalavrita Greece
The monastery is located in a large cave in a sheer cliff, where the western slopes of Mount Chelmos drop down to the gorge of the Vouraikos river. The cave was known in antiquity, and the geographer Pausanias reports that the daughters of Proetus found refuge there during their madness. In the first Christian centuries, Christian hermits occupied the cave.
According to tradition, the monastery is one of the oldest in Greece, reputedly founded in 362 by the Thessalonian brothers Symeon and Theodore, who with the help of Euphrosyne (a local shepherdess, honored as saint for her part in these events) discovered in the cave the icon of the Theotokos painted by Luke the Evangelist.
Several of the monks became members of the Filiki Etaireia and took part in the Greek War of Independence. On 8 December 1943, the German 117th Jäger Division destroyed the monastery and executed 22 monks and visitors as part of reprisals that culminated a few days later with the Massacre of Kalavryta.
Duration: 30 minutes
Pass By: Athens, Athens, Attica
Return to Athens or other location (up to prior request & agreement)
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
For Private Tours: Traveler pickup/ drop off is offered to your hotel/ apartment in Athens center or Piraeus Port, at the arranged time of your tour departure or your tour return. We suggest that the tour starts at 7.30 am or earlier in summer timeIf for any reason this is not convenient, you can adjust the time according to your needs.Please do not hesitate to request another pick up/ drop off location (for Athens airport, an extra charge is applicable for toll roads & distance 35 km)
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Infant seats available
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Train fee 10€ (Diakopto- Kalavryta/ one way) For weekends or holidays, purchase your tickets online in advance. Your return from Kalavryta to Athens or Nafplion, it will be by car, so will see another view of the mountain and we will have the chance to visit the Monastery of Mega Spilaeon, the oldest in Peloponnese.
- You Have the options of 3 different Vehicles types: Sedan up to 3 adults or family of 4 (2 adults + 2 kids - up to 11 years old free) - Minivan ( from 1 to 7 persons - 2 kids/ up to 11 years old free ) - Minibus ( from 1 to 14 persons - 2 kids/ up to 11 years old free). Price varies by Group Size or Vehicle type.
- Bookings: You have the flexibility of two options! Full payment or a Deposit (Pay deposit 50%) - Reserve the tour at a lower rate (than Option/ Full Pay) with a deposit 50% at the time of booking. The remaining 50% will be payable at the beginning of your tour in cash to your driver/ tour leader.
- Your tour is private & flexible and available from/ to Athens or from/ to Nafplio. However we only request to have in mind the agreed hours. If you would like to extend the trip, please make a fair arrangement with your driver/tour leader.
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate