Livorno Private Shore Excursion of Pietrasanta and the Michelangelo Carrara Marble Quarries with a Vermentino Wine Tasting
Customised shore excursion from the port of Livorno exploring the Carrara marble quarries, the sculpture town of Pietrasanta and a Colli di Luni Vermentino wine tasting for the discerning traveller seeking an authentic Italian experience on a small group tour with only the very best of English speaking driver guides. Discover Italy 'close up' in a Mercedes minivan of up to 7 - 8 people that takes you into the very heart of this incredible artistic area. Get the most of your time ashore to explore the chic resort of Pietrasanta and follow in the footsteps of great artists such as Michelangelo.
per adult from
What's included :
- Bottled water
- Port pickup and drop-off
- Transport by private vehicle
What's excluded :
- 4x4 Marble Tour
- Quarry Tour
- Wine Tasting
- Some art studios may charge a small entry fee
- Meet your private driver-guide at 08:00 or as close as possible to your ship for the pleasant hour's drive to Pietrasanta; an old town of Roman origins rich in sculpting traditions and filled with workshops frequented by artists from all over the world. Visit the Bozzetti Sculpture Museum and get an insight into how artists make the marble come to life in a busy working artists studio (some studios may request a small entry fee).
Enjoy a coffee in the Piazza del Duomo before travelling up into the marble quarries of Carrara to discover vast amphitheatres of cut rock for spectacular views and delve into cavernous tunnels that open out into marble cathedrals. An immense cultural and historical patrimony, these mountains were first exploited by Julius Caesar and have supplied artists from Michelangelo to Henry Moore.
Before your marble tour, stop to enjoy lunch in quarryman's village of Colonnata, renowned for its lard cured in huge marble vats. There are two tours you can choose from. Either take a guided tour to visit the inside of a working quarry (10 Euro per person) which lasts around 40 minutes where you are taken into the heart of the Apuan Alps to discover a marvellous quarry carved deep inside the mountains of an almost lunar appearance with vast and cavernous rooms. The first section is conducted from a small tour bus and once inside the Ravaccione Quarry, know as the Marble Cathedral, you will be talked through the process of cutting and pulling marble blocks and you will see the working machinery (this is still an active quarry). A truly unforgettable experience with ancient origins stemming from the 2nd century BC.
Or you may wish to join a thrilling 4x4 guided tour (10 Euro per person) travelling through a network of 30 open-air active quarries arriving at Quarry No 83, Canalgrande Alto, at an altitude of almost 1000m above sea level. Here, the scenery is almost lunar with views over the coast and the Ligurian sea. On the quarry site your tour guide will give you detailed information about methods and stages of excavation, from cutting to loading huge marble blocks on top of the trucks right in front of your eyes. Along the way, you will see where the exciting James Bond chase scene was filmed in Quantum of Solace.
As we travel back to your ship, stop at a family-run vineyard to enjoy an afternoon wine-tasting in Colli di Luni, an area renowned for its Vermentino white wine (15 Euro per person). Arrival back in Livorno is at around 1700.
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offeredPorts
- Livorno Imbarco Traghetti Moby Lines, Via Guido Donegani, 57100 Livorno LI, Italy
Departure Time :8:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 3 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Infant seats available
- At time of booking, Cruise ship passengers must provide the following information at time of booking: ship name, docking time, disembarkation time and re-boarding time
- This tour is priced by the group
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- As we look forward to welcoming travelers back to Italy we would like to assure you that your health and safety is paramount. Each vehicle is used solely and exclusively for your private group and is sanitized at the end of every service. Face masks, gloves, hand sanitizer and tissues are provided.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.