Multi-day tour Indio Maiz Jungle Experience - 2 nights
Costa Rica to Nicaragua multi-day tour, travel with us from La Fortuna (Costa Rica) to your lodge at the Rio San Juan (Nicaragua). Your getaway to the San Juan river, enjoy the peace and tranquility of this place! First you travel from La Fortuna to Las Tablillas, border crossing with Nicaragua, by air-conditioned transportation, this is a shared transfer. After border formalities you continue by air-conditioned transportation to San Carlos (Nicaragua).
In San Carlos your journey continues by public boat to the village of El Castillo. From El Castillo another boat waits for you to bring you to your lodge in about 20 minutes. Here you stay two nights and afterwards you return to La Fortuna.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Roundtrip shared transfer (La Fortuna - San Carlos and viceversa)
- Border assistance Nicaraguan side of the border
- Local guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Port pickup and drop-off
- Visit El Castillo
- Shared boat transportation San Carlos - El Castillo and viceversa
- Boat transportation El Castillo - Lodge and viceversa
- Lunch (first and last day)
- 2 nights accommodation
What's excluded :
- Alcoholic drinks (available to purchase)
- The listed price does not include a US$8 per person Costa Rica departure tax, payable at the time of tour check-in. The departure tax is required by our local supplier and/or the local transit or governing authority and is not within our control. The entrance/exit fees in Nicaragua are US$14 per person.
- Your multi-day tour (3 days) starts in La Fortuna. After pick up at your hotel by air-conditioned transportation you first travel for almost two hours to Los Chiles where you have a coffee break. Afterwards you go to Las Tablillas which is the border crossing with Nicaragua at about 20 minutes from Los Chiles. Before going to Las Tablillas you first stop at a small office in Los Chiles to pay the exit taxes. Once you arrive at Las Tablillas you complete the border formalities at the Costa Rican side of the border after that you walk across to the Nicaraguan side of the border, only a short walk (150 meters). Here your guide waits for you to assist you with the immigration process. Your guide accompanies you to the air-conditioned transportation that takes you to San Carlos (Nicaragua). Once you arrive in San Carlos you have lunch and after lunch your guide takes you on a walking tour through San Carlos. After this your guide leads you to the dock where your journey continues onto Rio San Juan where the village of El Castillo is situated. After 2 hours you get to El Castillo. Upon arrival at your destination, the scenic town of El Castillo, you board another boat that takes you in 20 minutes to your peaceful location..
The next day you can opt to visit nearby El Castillo (included) just to walk around at leisurely pace and to immerse yourself with this tranquil place, one of the few places in Nicaragua where you won´t find cars! Another option is to book a hiking tour to the Indio-Maiz Biological Reserve (optional), less than one mile downstream, the hiking trails of Bartola, a section of the Indio-Maiz Reserve, reveal some of the mysteries of this impressive Biological Corridor of Central America. Here you can encounter countless species of birds among which parrots and toucans and also amphibians like small poison darts frogs with their vivid colors. You can also opt to explore the area by kayak (included). The next day you are leaving back to San Carlos at 07:00 AM and afterwards to La Fortuna (Note: On Sundays the boat leaves earlier to San Carlos, at 05:15 AM, if you go back on Sunday you have a complimentary drink in San Carlos before you head back to Costa Rica). Your guide again assists you at the border, Nicaraguan side, with the border formalities, after that transportation waits for you at the Costa Rican side to take you back to a restaurant in Los Chiles. Here you have lunch (included) and then you go back to your hotel in La Fortuna. You arrive in La Fortuna at 3:30 PM
Departure Point :All hotels in the La Fortuna/Arenal area, if your hotel is located outside the 10 mile radius from the center of La Fortuna a surcharge is applied
Departure Time :7:30 AM
Return Detail :All hotels in the La Fortuna/Arenal area, if your hotel is located outside the 10 mile radius from the center of La Fortuna a surcharge is applied
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A current valid passport is required on the day of travel
- Not wheelchair accessible
- May be operated by a multi-lingual guide (from La Fortuna to San Carlos)
- Child rate applies only when sharing with 2 paying adults
- A current valid passport is required on the day of travel (passport need to be valid for at least 6 months prior to the date of entry into Costa Rica/Nicaragua)
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- If you cancel at least 7 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.