Private Full Day Tour of Umm el – Jimal and the Desert Castles from Amman
Indulge in this interesting art and history private day trip from Amman dedicated to Jordan’s early medieval ages. Visit the not much visited ruins of Umm el-Jimal to see its impressive city remains and one of a kind ruins, admire the Desert Castles discovering the three of Jordan’s famous Desert Castles. With an informative English – Speaking private driver who doubles up as your guide, learn about these fabled castles, built by the Umayyad rulers during the 7th and 8th centuries as you visit each one in the desert plains of eastern Jordan. Explore UNESCO-listed Amra Castle (Quseir’ Amra), famous for its 8th century fresco of hedonistic scenes before continuing to the Kharanah Castle (Qasr Al - Kharanah) and the atmospheric Al - Azraq Castle (Qasr Al - Azraq), the latter used as military based by T.E. Lawrence, known as Lawrence of Arabia during World War I.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Hotel pick-up and drop -off
- Private Transfer by air-conditioned leisure new vehicle according number of participants
- English-speaking driver
- Entrances Fees to Umm el-Jimal,
- Entrances Fees to the mentioned Castles: Amra Castle, Al Khranah Castle, and Al – Azraq Castle
- On board WI-FI
- Entry/Admission - Quseir Amra
- Entry/Admission - Qasr al-Kharrana
- Entry/Admission - Qasr Azraq
What's excluded :
- Local guide where not mentioned
- All type of meals and beverages
- Infant meals
- Entrance fees to additional sites
- Any other service not mentioned
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Amman, Amman, Amman Governorate
Depart your Amman hotel by private, air-conditioned vehicle with your own personal English-Speaking Driver who doubles up as your guide, and make the scenic journey south toward Umm el-Jimal.
Stop At: Umm el Jimal, Umm el Jimal, Al Mafraq Governorate
After roughly 2 hours, step outside to walk around what is one of Jordan’s important, yet not much visited archaeological sites. It is primarily notable for the substantial ruins of a Byzantine and early Islamic town which are clearly visible above the ground, as well as an older Roman village located to the southwest of the Byzantine ruins.
Duration: 30 minutes
Pass By: Umm el Jimal, Umm el Jimal, Al Mafraq Governorate
After admiring these unique ruins, move on towards the fascinating Desert Castles. The region is speckled with 7th and 8th century castles, many within a 15-minute drive of each other, that were originally built by the Caliphs of the Umayyad dynasty as rural retreats and hunting lodges. Hear tales about this powerful dynasty, the first Muslim rulers of the Arab kingdom, including fascinating snippets about their extravagance and debauchery. As you travel, feel free to tell your driver if there’s a castle you want to see more of or another castle you’d like to visit, at your own expense.
Stop At: Quseir Amra, Azraq Jordan
Your tour is private, so the itinerary can be tailored to suit your interests. Pull up at UNESCO-listed “Quseir’ Amra”, one of east Jordan’s most famous castles. Once a hunting palace of the Umayyads, this splendidly restored edifice is graced with 8th-century fresco showing decadent scenes of nude women, wine, and parties.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Qasr al-Kharrana, Route 40, Amman Jordan
Continue to “Qasr Al -Kharanah”, an imperious 2-level fortress standing in a huge plain. Thought to have been built on Roman foundations, this evocative castle exudes intrigue and displays a rich array of Mesopotamian, Arabic, and Greek architectural influences.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Qasr Azraq, Azraq Oasis, Azraq Jordan
Finally, head for “Qasr Al-Azraq”, originally an Umayyad hunting retreat and once used as a headquarters by T.E. Lawrence, the 20th-century British soldier and Arab Revolt leader perhaps more famously known as Lawrence of Arabia. Wander around the sun-burnished courtyards, towers, and mosque. Learn how Lawrence based his operations here during 1917 to 1918. After exploring here, relax on your ride back to Amman where your experience finishes with a hotel drop-off.
Duration: 30 minutes
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infant seats available
- Most travelers can participate
- Confirmation will be received at the time of booking.
- Order of visits may change for day tours with more than one visit as long as all sites completed.
- Contact your local operator (phone number, emergency mobile number, or email address) a day before to reconfirm pick-up arrangements provided in your voucher.
- Clients are advised to bring hats, sun screen, and comfortable walking shoes.
- Tour activity is provided in English. For other languages (Spanish, Portuguese, French, and German) by request.
- Mobile SIM cards including Wi-Fi are available with assistance of our team upon request and can be subject to a small additional charge approximately: 20 USD. (Prices subject to change by the communication company).
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level.
- Most local tourist restaurants in Jordan do not serve alcohol, if you do not want a dry restaurant please contact us.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- These measurements will be updated accordance with the Health Ministry regulations.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.