Private Ultimate Temples of Kyoto Tour with a Local
The temples of Kyoto are vestiges of its captivating past, and the stories surrounding these ancient places of worship define Japan’s iconic cultural city. Go in-depth into the country’s main religion of Buddhism, discover the true meaning of “Zen,” explore breathtaking scenery and architecture, all with your favorite local host on this personalized tour.
Step into a stunning temple built by an emperor in the 12th century. See thousands of Buddha statues displayed in a giant hall, many of which are influenced by Hinduism.
There’s more to see! Join your host and tour a Shingon sect temple, acclaimed for its expertly crafted sculptures dating back to the 1100s. Hear the life story of a local savior and see the statue modeled after him.
For more historic temples and landmarks, follow your favorite local to a richly decorated temple with picturesque zen gardens, dedicated to a shogun who unified Japan. Also, explore old tea houses and tranquil bamboo forests within the temple!
per adult from
What's included :
- Coffee and/or Tea - 1 local non alcoholic drink
- Entrance tickets
- Transportation ticket
- Private tour
- Local guide
What's excluded :
- Hotel pick-up and drop off
- Food and beverages not listed as inclusions
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Sanjusangendo Temple, 657 Sanjusangendo Mawaricho, Higashiyama-Ku, Kyoto 605-0941 Kyoto Prefecture
Visit an ancient temple with thousands of Buddha statues on display, find out the link between Hinduism and Buddhism and learn about the history of archery linked to the temple
Duration: 45 minutes
Stop At: Rokuharamitsuji Temple, 81-1 Rokurocho, Higashiyama-Ku, Kyoto 605-0813 Kyoto Prefecture
Discover a Shingon sect temple with a gripping history, famous for handcrafted sculptures dating back to the 1100s and hear stories of a local savior and see a statue of him in the temple
Duration: 55 minutes
Stop At: Kennin-ji Temple, 584 Yamatooji Yojo-sagaru Komatsucho, Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto 605-0933 Kyoto Prefecture
Tour a zen temple of the Rinzai sect, housing monumental artwork, and a stunning dragon mural. Also, explore the Gion district, see traditional tea houses and catch glimpses of the geishas who work and live here
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Kodai-ji Temple, 526 Shimokawaramachi, Higashiyama-Ku, Kyoto 605-0825 Kyoto Prefecture
Visit an ornately decorated zen temple dedicated to a shogun who unified Japan and seek serenity in a beautiful zen garden, explore a bamboo forest and see old tea houses located within a temple site. Then take a break in an exquisite temple and enjoy authentic matcha before saying goodbye to your host
Duration: 50 minutes
Departure Point :Kyoto Station, Higashishiokoji Kamadonocho, Shimogyo Ward, Kyoto, 600-8216, Japan
Return Detail :Higashioji-dori Avenue, Higashioji-dori Ave, Higashiyama Ward, Kyoto, Japan
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.