Rhodes city tour and wine tasting
Strategically positioned between East and West, Rhodes was one of the first Greek islands to engage in the cultivation of grapes. A plethora of archaeological finds and historical proof attests to the importance of Rhodian amphorae in transporting wine from the island and tells us that these were distinguished from others by an engraving of a rose (“rodo” in Greek) or of Helios, the sun god. This was a form of branding, confirming that the wine was made from Rhodian grapes and a precursor of the Appellation of Origin system that was established many centuries later in Europe.
Helped by its strong maritime presence, Rhodes was the biggest wine exporter in the region as far back as the 7th c. BC. The first written reference we have for Rhodian wine comes from the great Attic orator Aeschines, a rival of Demosthenes, who was exiled to Rhodes in 330 BC.
per adult from
What's included :
- Alcoholic Beverages - Wine tasting of 3 glasses of wine of 75ml per glass
- Snacks - Cheese deeps with kritsinia
- Private transportation
- Private qualified guide
What's excluded :
- Grand Master Palace entrance fees 6€ per person
Private Rhodes City tour & Wine Tasting
Route Duration: 4 hoursStops on the Private Rhodes City tour & Wine Tasting:
Attractions on the Private Rhodes City tour & Wine Tasting:
- CYCLOPOLIS - Short stop at Evangelismos church - St. Nicholas fort
- Isiodou - Short panoramic view of Rhodes Isl. & the city of Rhodes
- Diagoridon 68 - Short panoramic view of Diagoras Anc. stadium
- Dimokratias 2 - Stop at the D' Amboise Gate to enter in the Old Town
- Palace of the Grand Master of the Knights of Rhodes - Visit of the Palace of the Grand Master of the Knights
Operates: Get acquainted with the city of Rhodes on this private, 4-hour shore excursion. Meet your guide off your cruise ship when it docks in the Port of Rhodes, then head out to explore. Travel through Rhodes New Town, where you’ll see the Mandraki Esplanade’s modern landmarks, before heading into the UNESCO-listed Rhodes Old Town. Enjoy a guided visit of the magnificent Palace of the Grand Master and make the most of free time to explore independently. Entrance fees not included. 4-hour Rhodes shore excursion, led by a knowledgeable private guide Admire the city’s modern sights including Mandraki Esplanade and Mandraki Port Soak up sweeping views of the island views from the Monte Smith Explore Rhodes’ UNESCO-listed Old Town and see Porte d'Amboise and the Street of the Knights. After your magnificent guided tour enjoys the local wines in the beautiful Medieval City. You can taste sparkling wines, Athiri variety of white wines and multi-variety of red wines and of course a variety of rose wines.
Departure Point :You may start this tour at any of the stops listed.
Departure Time :1:00 PM
Return Detail :You may disembark at any of the available stops.
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.