San Diego Taco Crawl - A Curated Tour of San Diego's Best Tacos - Public Tour
Mexico's best tacos (and thus the best tacos in the world!) are found just over the border from San Diego, in Tijuana and Ensenada, where we also lead amazing street food tours... But if you don't have your passport, or you just don't have time to devote a day to explore the vibrant culinary scene south of the border, and you are interested eating some of the best tacos found outside of Mexico, this is your tour!
Mexicans living in San Diego can't always make it over the border to enjoy their beloved street tacos. We'll take you to where they eat in San Diego. At these hole-in-the wall joints and taco trucks, you're more likely to hear Spanish spoken over English, but don't worry, our expert bilingual gastroguides will take care of the translating for you!
And while you'll spend most of the day getting down and dirty with San Diego's best street tacos (you eat tacos with your hands!), we'll end at an upscale gourmet taco bar that also serves Baja microbrews and craft cocktails.
per adult from
What's included :
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Your gastroguide is a local taco expert, and will help guide and enhance your tasting experience!
- Bottled water
- This taco crawl is not recommended for strict vegetarians, vegans or picky eaters.
- AVG. PER-PERSON FOOD & BEVERAGE BUDGET IS $25 - YOU WILL PAY FOR ALL YOUR OWN CONSUMPTION.
What's excluded :
- Lunch - THIS IS A NO-HOST TACO CRAWL: while we will certainly guide you based on our expert knowledge, you'll make your own buying decisions and pay vendors directly for your consumption on this tour.
- Dinner - THIS IS A NO-HOST TACO CRAWL: while we will certainly guide you based on our expert knowledge, you'll make your own buying decisions and pay vendors directly for your consumption on this tour.
- Alcoholic Beverages - THIS IS A NO-HOST TACO CRAWL: while we will certainly guide you based on our expert knowledge, you'll make your own buying decisions and pay vendors directly for your consumption on this tour.
- Snacks - THIS IS A NO-HOST TACO CRAWL: while we will certainly guide you based on our expert knowledge, you'll make your own buying decisions and pay vendors directly for your consumption on this tour.
- Soda/Pop - THIS IS A NO-HOST TACO CRAWL: while we will certainly guide you based on our expert knowledge, you'll make your own buying decisions and pay vendors directly for your consumption on this tour.
- We've been leading adventurous foodies on our world-famous street taco tours south of the border in Tijuana and Ensenada Mexico for years, and the most asked question on those tours is, "these tacos are the best we've ever had — can we find something like these in San Diego?" The answer is "YES!" but only if you know where Mexicans living in San Diego go for legit tacos...
On this expertly curated taco crawl, you will eat your way through San Diego's best-kept secret hole-in-the-wall taco joints and hidden taco trucks, ending the day at a modern-Mexican gourmet taco bar featuring upscale takes on classic tacos, Baja California craft beers, and Mexican-inspired mixology. This crawl lasts about five hours, and makes 5-6 stops for tacos.
THIS IS A NO-HOST TACO CRAWL: we don't believe in restrictions, and it's impossible to know just what tacos you'll want to try at each stop (there are so many awesome choices). While we will certainly guide you based on our experience, you'll make your own buying decisions. Your tour fees include transportation and the expert knowledge of your gastroguide - you'll pay for all of your own consumption directly to the vendors on your itinerary.
• Tacos de Birria de Res - A traditional and flavorful beef stew is served in golden corn tortillas with chopped white onion and cilantro. This is Mexican comfort food!
• Baja-style Fish and Shrimp Tacos - Battered and deep fried fish or shrimp is served in warm corn tortillas, with all the traditional toppings and salsas.
• Al Pastor Tacos (Adobada) - Marinated pork is stacked and slowly roasted on a spit, then shaved off into warm corn tortillas, served with onion, cilantro, and avocado.
• Sonoran-style Carne Asada Tacos - Prime skirt steak is grilled over a hard-wood hearth, chopped and served in handmade flour tortillas with onion, cilantro, pinto beans and guacamole.
• Tacos de Barbacoa - Lamb is pit-roasted with special spices until it falls off the bones, then served in warm corn tortillas with onions, cilantro, and a side of au jus.
• Ceviche de Pescado - Locally-caught white fish is marinated/cooked in a citrus sauce, served with pico de gallo and crispy tostadas or saltine crackers.
• Aguachile - Fish or shrimp, sliced thinly (sashimi-style), then submerged in a liquid dressing of chili peppers, lime juice, cilantro, and slices of cucumber.
• Quesadillas (with or without meat) - Served with or without meat, tortillas filled with cheese are grilled until the cheese inside is melted.
• Gourmet Tacos - Various Selections - At our last stop, you'll choose from various upscale takes on Mexican classics, served on handmade tortillas — art on a plate!
• Baja California Microbrews & Mexican-inspired Craft Cocktails - At our last stop, wash down your gourmet taco selection with a south of the border microbrew, or a craft cocktail.
Departure Point :Palomar Street Transit Center, Chula Vista, CA 91911, USA
Departure Time :10:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- All participants must be at least 12-years old.
- Everyone in your group must agree to and sign/submit the Baja Test Kitchen Participation Agreement (release of liability) at least 24-hours prior to departure.
- This tour is not available for bachelor or bachelorette parties; wedding celebration groups must make separate arrangements to reserve a private tour vehicle (additional conditions and costs apply to private tours).
- Participants must be sober at the inception of the tour. If the trip director deems that a participant is under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs at the inception of the tour (in his/her sole yet reasonable judgement), that participant will be dismissed and will not be allowed to participate in the tour. There will be no refunds, credits, or rescheduling allowances for dismissal due to insobriety at the inception of a tour/workshop.
- Your payment for this experience constitutes your full acceptance of the Terms, Conditions, and Tour Policies found on the Baja Test Kitchen website
- This culinary experience is not well suited for strict vegetarians, vegans, or picky eaters.
- All BTK food and beverage vendors utilize kitchen facilities that may process nuts (including peanuts and tree nuts), shellfish, fish, milk, eggs, wheat/gluten, soy, honey, and citrus. Accordingly, it is impossible to guarantee that trace amounts of these ingredients would not be found in ANY dish/food served.
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 14 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.