Sigiriya and Dambulla Private Day Trip from Colombo
Climb the Sigiriya Rock Fortress & marvel at the cave temple of Dambulla in this exciting, tightly packed same-day trip from Colombo. Travel in comfort in an air-conditioned vehicle, along with guided tours at both locations.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (from Colombo city)
- Private tour
- Transport by private air-conditioned vehicle
- Professional guide
- Bottled water
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Start the journey at 6.30 am from your Colombo city hotel in a private air-conditioned vehicle (177 km – approximately 4 hours)
Sigiriya is home to the 5th Century ‘Fortress in the Sky,” which is perhaps the most fantastic single wonder of the Island built by King Kashyapa (477-495 AD). It is also known as Lion Rock because of the huge lion that used to stand at the entrance to the fortress. Within it triple-moated defence the huge rock rises almost to a sheer height of 500ft. On its summit are the foundations of what was once a great and sumptuous palace and gardens complete with swimming pool. On one of the stairways the only known ancient work of Sinhala secular painting survived in the form of frescoes of life sized damsels in all the freshness and delicacy of their original color. These Frescos painted in earth pigments on plaster.
Climb the Sigiriya Rock Fortress. Climbing time depends on how fit you are. if you like to climb the rock, taking few breaks along the way or simply want to stop often to take photos and admire the view, it’ll take an hour and a half to two hours to climb up and go back down again.
Afterwards, transfer to Dambulla - located about 08 kilometres away
Dambulla were donated by king Walagambahu in the 1st century BC to Buddhist monks. Dambulla is a UNESCO World Heritage site and is the most impressive of Sri Lanka's cave temples. The complex of five caves with over 2000 sq. metres of painted walls and ceiling is one of the largest extents of cave paintings found in the world. These caves contain over 150 images of the Buddha of which the largest is the figure of the Buddha carved out of rock spanning 14 metres
After visiting Dambulla, drive back to Colombo (177 km – approximately 4 hours). Enroute stop to visit a Spice garden in Matale. You will be introduced to different spices that are famous in Sri Lanka and shown how some of these spices are grown and processed.
On arrival in Colombo you will be transferred back to your hotel.
Departure Point :Your Colombo city hotel
Departure Time :6:30 AM
Return Detail :Returns to your Colombo city hotel
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- A considerable amount of walking is involved to climb up to Sigiriya Rock. However, guests can choose not to climb and admire the sights at lower level.
- Minimum age is 3 years
- A maximum of 6 people per booking
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Organised by DAS Lanka