Soviet Berlin II - Through the Red Metropolis - private tour
Discover berlin with a private GDR-born, certified guide. Learn more about the final Battle for Berlin in World War II, Soviet Berlin, the Cold War, the Berlin Wall, and urban development in Socialist East Berlin.
Immerse yourself in the life of the former socialist metropolis of East Berlin. We start in Berlin-Mitte to explore the beginnings of Soviet Berlin. Subsequently, you´ll see the most prestigious projects of socialist urban development. For the Soviet Union, East Berlin was the socialist outpost in the heart of Europe. The monumental Soviet War Memorials underline why Berlin was so important to the Soviets.
On this special tour, you will pass by some of Berlin’s most famous sights and you will learn about their Soviet history.
★ 4h walking tour through East Berlin
per adult from
What's included :
- Professional guide
- Local guide
- Private tour
What's excluded :
- Transportation to/from attractions
- Enjoy a special tour in the center of Berlin about the final offensive in WWII, Cold War and life in Soviet influenced East Berlin. This private guided walking tour aims to get an overview about the history of Berlin during World War II and life in the later Soviet Berlin. This tour is operated by the specialist for Soviet history in Berlin, Potsdam and Brandenburg.
The tour starts at Berlin Central Station/ wahsington Square. From the banks of river Spree we will follow in the footsteps of the Red Army as they captured the Reichstag building and raised the Soviet red flag.
The Soviet War Memorial in the Tiergarten is an impressive trace of this final Battle for Berlin - the memorial is the final resting place for more than 2.000 Soviet soldiers.
Not far from there, the iconic Brandenburg Gate became later a symbol of the division of Berlin in the Cold War: the Iron Curtain separated the metropolis for decades.
From the former Soviet embassy we then go by bus to Alexanderplatz, to immerse ourselves in the eastern districts of Berlin. The Alexanderplatz square once was designed as the center of Socialist East Berlin. Here, the monumental Karl-Marx Boulevard (earlier Stalin Boulevard) is heading eastwards.
Eventually we take the train to the Soviet War Memorial in East Berlin - one of the largest anti-fascist monuments on earth.
Overall this tour includes a walking distance of about 5 kilometers. A ticket for public transportation (Berlin AB) is required - please buy it in advance. The tour takes place in any weather. Please dress appropriate.
Individual agreements are possible! Please call for further questions +49-160-5111-887 (WhatsApp, Telegram, Messenger)
Departure Point :Berlin Main Station
Departure Time :10am on a weekday 11am on weekends Individual agreements are possible. Please call!
Return Detail :Soviet War Memorial Treptower Park
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.