St. Clements Basilica and Quattro Coronati Church Small-Group Tour
Visit Rome’s famous 3-tiered underground church, the Basilica of San Clemente, on a 3-hour guided tour. Taking in the church’s 1st, 4th, and 12th century buildings, the tour showcases mosaics, frescoes, an underground schoolroom, and a maze of corridors made from volcanic stone. Then you will visit the Santi Quattro Coronati Church: originally built in C. IV it is subject to particular devotion by stone-cutters an marble-carvers, and with the Oratorio di San Silvestro and the decorations with frescoes dated C: XIII which describes some episodes from the legend of Costantino. As you explore, you’ll learn about the saints and cardinals connected with the fascinating church from your guide. Numbers are limited to 13 for a small-group experience.
per adult from
What's included :
- Professional guide
What's excluded :
- Entrance fees (15EUR per adult,10EUR per under18yo,10EUR per student 18yo and 25 yo with student ID)
- Food and drink
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Entry/Admission - Basilica of San Clemente
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Basilica of San Clemente, Via Labicana 95, 00184 Rome Italy
As you enter, listen to your guide to learn about the 3-tiered basilica, which was built over the 1st, 4th, and 12th centuries.
Starting inside the 12th-century building, you’ll admire the rich ornamentation of the interior as you hear about Cardinal Anastasius for whom the church was built. Gaze at a Byzantine mosaic with an arabesque motif, and stare in wonder at the frescoed floor of the edifice.
The 4th-century basilica lies one level beneath the ground. Head down to explore the aisles and central naves as your guide talks about St. Alexius and St. Clemente, whose lives are depicted in magnificent frescoes.
Walk down to the basilica’s lowest level where the remains of the 1st-century building await. Discover once-secret rooms, such as a Mithraic schoolroom, and work your way around a tangle of rooms and corridors made from volcanic stone.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Ss. Quattro Coronati, Via Dei Santissimi Quattro 20, 00184 Rome Italy
Your next site to visit during this tour is the Santi Quattro Coronati Church: originally buit in C. IV the church owes its name to the tradition of the martyrdom of four Roman soldiers who refused to adore Esculapio. You will visit the Oratorio di San Silvestro with the decorations with frescoes dated C. XIII wich show some episodes from the legend of Costantino.
The assemble of buildings still show the severe character it had during the Middle Ages, when it was used as a defensive bastion fro the nearby Basilica di San Giovanni.
Duration: 1 hour
Departure Point :Piazza di San Clemente, Piazza di S. Clemente, 00184 Roma RM, Italy
Departure Time :3:30 PM
Return Detail :Via dei SS. Quattro, 103, 00184 Roma RM, Italy
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A dress code is required to enter places of worship and selected museums. No shorts or sleeveless tops allowed. Knees and shoulders must be covered for both men and women. You may risk refused entry if you fail to comply with these dress requirements
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 13 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- All health and safety measurements place by the Italian Government have been placed on our tours.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.