St John Lateran Holy Stairs and Baptistery Private Tour
Take a private tour of the first papal residency and marvel at the interior of the Basilica of St. John Lateran in Rome. Your guide will take you to see the Chiostro, the Holy Stairs, and the fantastic Baptistery of the Lateran complex as well.
per adult from
What's included :
- Blue Badge guide
- Professional guide
- Guaranteed to skip the long lines
- Guaranteed to skip the lines
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Arcibasilica di San Giovanni in Laterano, Piazza di Porta San Giovanni, 4, 00184 Rome Italy
The 3-hour tour begins as your guide shows you the stunning interior of St. John Lateran. Admire the sculptures and the central nave, with its ornate 16th-century ceiling by Borromini, commissioned by Pope Innocent X for the Jubilee in 1650.From inside the Basilica, you’ll enter the Lateran Chiostro, and see the lovely marble columns lining the 36-meter corridor dating to the 13th century.
Cross the street to enter the small yet unique Lateran Baptistery, more properly called San Giovanni in Fonte. It was built in the 4th century by Constantine, along with the basilica of Saint John Lateran, on top of a 2nd-century villa.
You’ll see that the interior follows an octagonal plan. In the middle, there are 8 porphyry columns supporting an octagonal lintel over which there is another order of smaller white marble columns.
Admire modern copies of Andrea Sacchi’s works depicting the life of Giovanni Battista, and frescoes of Constantine’s life painted by Camassei, Gimignani, and Maratta.Marvel at the sacred Holy Stairs and the Chapel of Sancta Sanctorum, one of the most important sanctuaries of the Roman Catholic Church. Located near the Basilica of St. John Lateran, the Sanctuary is recognized as the first private papal chapel. Its name derives from the 28 marble steps of the Holy Stairs.
Duration: 3 hours
Departure Point :Piazza di San Giovanni in Laterano, Roma RM, Italy
Departure Time :3:00 PM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- The tour is mono-lingual
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Surfaces are wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- All health and safety measurements place by the Italian Government have been placed on our tours.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.