The Jewish Heritage Tour of Timisoara
Timisoara might not have the famous Jewish attractions of Josefov quarter in Prague, but for sure is equal generous with its Jewish-related life-stories and historical events. Moreover, brilliant natives of Jewish ethnicity changed for the better Timisoara and surrounding region. Alongside the impressive synagogues, a large number of Timisoara’s valuable buildings were either financed or designed by Jewish townsmen.
All of these above mentioned are parts of the Jewish heritage of Timisoara, and we are inviting you to discover it!
per adult from
150 to 180 minutes
What's included :
- Guiding services of a Local guide passionate with Timisoara history and culture
What's excluded :
- Only the guiding services are included
- What will we practically do for this? We will follow the general history of Timisoara City, emphasizing the evolution of Jewish community, the moments when it has been in danger, the moments when it benefited from the local tolerance. We will visit the location of tiny Jewish Quarter of Timisoara’s Innerstadt (Citadelle) with its beautiful Moorish Synagogue (seen only from outside). Following, we will discover the tale and architecture of the large Status-Quo synagogue of Fabrikstadt neighborhood. Its poor, abandoned status is unfortunately representative for the evolution of the Jewish community, once counting 12% of city’s population, today only 0,2%. The next stop in our tour is the only “stolpperstein” (stumbling stone) in Romania. These kind of stones are small-size monuments made by iron/copper bearing a brass plate inscribed with the name and life dates of victims of Nazi extermination in a certain place. This will be an opportunity to reveal how the tragic Holocaust happened in Timisoara.
Departure Point :Timisoara City Tours, Strada Alba Iulia no. 7, Timișoara 300077, Romania
Departure Time :10:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Wheelchair accessible
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Dress code is smart casual
- A maximum of 5 people per booking
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.