Travnik - an Open Museum Tour
Take the 5-hours tour to Travnik, the historical town of economy and trade and historical capital of the Ottoman empire governors. See amazing Travniks' oriental structure such as the colorful mosque of Sultan Sulejman. Take a walk down through the Old Town of Travnik and visit home of Nobel Prize Winner Ivo Andric, which today is a museum of the writer's work . At the end of the tour we will discover the Travnik Fortress which stands on the top of a hill.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Fuel surcharge and parking
- Professional driver/guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Coffee and/or Tea
What's excluded :
- Souvenirs (available to purchase)
- Travnik is located in the valley of the River Lašva. Today Travnik is a small town of 57,543 people, but from 1699 to 1850 it was the governor’s capital of the Bosnian Ottoman Empire. An Ottoman Vizier town still considered an inevitable destination of Central Bosnia. It is some 90km away from Sarajevo, about an hour and 10 minutes drive through the Sarajevo Motorway.
The town of Travnik is often called the European Istanbul due to the oriental structures such as the colorful mosque of Sultan Sulejman. On the Travnik Tour, we will visit the Old Town of Travnik where you can smell the alluring aroma of Ćevapćići of Travnik, the traditional Bosnian meatballs. We will then visit the home of Nobel Prize Winner Ivo Andrić, which is now a museum of the writer’s works and possessions.
The Valley of Lašva and Travnik were famous for its wealthy structures during the roman Empire and the Ottoman Empire. One of the most impressive structures is the Travnik Fortress which still stands on top of a hill and can be seen upon entering the town of Travnik.
Old Fort is one of the most beautiful and best preserved medieval fortified buildings in Bosnia on which later historical periods left their distinctive characteristics. In so far known historiography sources, there is no record of the year and the duration of construction, or the builder. Historians agree that the castle was built in the second half of the 14th or the first half of the 15th century. By way of construction and other indications it is assumed that the original builder was King Tvrtko II Kotromanić, but King Stjepan Dabiša is also stated as a possible builder.
Before leaving Travnik we will visit a famous local restaurant. This restaurant has existed for centuries and it became famous by the book of Ivo Andric, The Travnik Chronicles. This a great place to refresh, relax and enjoy a traditional coffee.
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offeredAirports
- Butmir Airport, Sarajevo Bosnia and Herzegovina
Departure Time :8:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- wear comfortable walking shoes
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 30 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.